In 1896, the decree of the Minister of Finance of Russia Sergey Witte in the Russian Empire introduced a state monopoly on the production and sale of alcoholic beverages.
In 1901 the monopoly came to Moscow. “Moscow state wine warehouse №1”, the future plant “Crystal”, located on the banks of the Yauza, and was the largest and most powerful enterprise. In the year he had to give 2 million 100 thousand buckets of wine (about 2.6 million decaliters), while the other two “warehouse” only 1 million 50 thousand buckets (state vodka bucket – 12 liters).
At warehouse No. 1 at that time worked about one and a half thousand people.
The warehouse building – a wonderful example of industrial architecture of the early twentieth century – still retains its historical appearance.
Opening and consecration of warehouse No. 1 took place on June 24, 1901. At the beginning of its history, the plant produced only three varieties of vodka: “simple”, “improved” and “boyar”. Originally it was planned to produce 600 thousand buckets of vodka of the highest quality per year. However, a week after the opening of the plant, in view of the huge demand for state wine of the highest purity, the question arose about increasing its production. To do this, it was proposed: first, to increase the number of batteries (filters) for the production of high-quality vodka, and then “rebuild the entire warehouse for the sake of making wine of the highest purity.”
The future “Crystal” from the very beginning was the advanced industrial complex equipped with the most modern equipment and having multistage system of quality control of production.
By 1914, the range of products has expanded to five items: now here produced vodka “Moscow special”, “Bread wine”, “Table wine”, “Gorilka” and liqueur “Casserole”. “Moscow special” – perhaps the most famous variety of Russian vodka, developed by the great chemist D. Mendeleev.
On October 31, 1914 the plant was closed due to the introduction of the “dry law” in the country during the war. Some time in his building housed a military hospital, but the ban on production was not absolute. Warehouse No. 1 was allowed to produce alcohol for the needs of the army and “institutions of public health”, to release wine to foreign citizens and the diplomatic corps, to carry out orders for the supply of alcohol to allied France. Part of the production capacity was reoriented to the production of drugs on the basis of alcohol.
In 1917, the revolutionary government extended the ban on the production and sale of alcohol. In August 1923, the CEC and SNK of the USSR issued a joint resolution on the resumption of production and trade of alcoholic beverages. By January 1, 1924, the factory had already released 844 720 liters liqueurs strength up to 20° (more spirits were then banned). Only since 1925, the plant resumes the production of hard liquor is 30° and above. The first vodka produced at the plant after the abolition of “prohibition”, received the name of the people “rykovka” (by the name of the Minister of economy Rykov).
In 1937 all the vodka factories of the Soviet Union introduced a standardized prescription of standards for the entire range of products. The experience of the former “state-owned warehouse № 1” in preparation tablespoons of vodka from alcohol of double rectification (of the brand “prima-prima”) applies to the whole country.
In the same year, the range of the plant appear strong liqueurs (Chartreuse, Benedictine, Curacao) and dessert liqueurs (pink, chocolate, vanilla).
During the great Patriotic war the plant mastered military specialties.
In his shops, in addition to traditional products, produced dry alcohol, wine and vodka bottles poured “Molotov cocktail”. Despite the bombing (July 22, 1941 during a massive RAID of German aircraft on Moscow from a bomb almost completely burned out the main building of the plant), the selfless efforts of factory workers production of flammable products was put on stream. For work during the war, the plant was awarded the Banner of the State defense Committee.
After the great Victory, the plant completely switched to the production of peaceful products. In 1945, there was opened shop №1, which produced drinks of the highest quality for the Kremlin elite. Each bottle leaving the shop was supplied with a certificate with a list of names and personal signatures of specialists responsible for its production.
In 1953 the famous vodka “Stolichnaya”was created at the plant. Its author was Vinokur extra-class VG svirida. Already in 1954, this variety receives international recognition: during the procedure of “blind testing” vodka “Stolichnaya” won the famous brand Smirnoff.
In January 1987, the plant received its current name “Crystal”. In 1993 the open joint stock company “Moscow plant “Crystal” and its trademark is registered
In 1998, to the main production of JSC “Moscow plant “Kristall” affiliate – distillery in the village of Korystova in the Kashira district of Moscow region.
Distillery “Korystova” traces its history to 1883, when the landlords Litvinova, brothers Nikolai and Vladimir, built on the banks of the Oka and the Distillery’s warehouse No. 19.
Since 1951, the plant closely cooperates with research Institute of PBT in the development of new technologies for the production of alcohol, in Korystova is an active scientific work. Some innovations in the technological process were introduced at the plant for the first time in the alcohol industry.
In 2009, JSC “Moscow plant “Crystal” begins the development of a new production facility for bottling of alcoholic beverages on the branch “Korystova”. Bottling lines for 6 and 12 thousand dal were purchased, workshops were equipped.
From April 2012 the production of alcoholic beverages in Korystova running at full capacity.
Since 12.07.2016 JSC ” Moscow plant “Crystal” was renamed into JSC “Moscow plant “Crystal”.